Epsom salt – you see it in all the pharmacies, but what is it actually good for? Surprisingly, it has a lot of different uses for your everyday health and beauty routine.
Check out these 5 surprising uses for Epsom salts. You’re going to want to make sure you keep some handy from now on. They’ll help you save money and increase your health at the same time.
1. Relieve constipation. No one likes to be constipated. It’s uncomfortable. Epsom salt is a gentle way to help ease constipation. One Good Thing says to dissolve 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt in a glass of water and drink it.
2. Remove callouses. Callouses on the bottom of your feet can be extremely painful to walk on and hard to remove. Livestrong.com recommends using an Epsom salt soak to help soften and remove stubborn callouses. Dissolve 3 teaspoons of Epsom salt in warm water and soak your feet for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove your feet and use a pumice stone to remove the callous.
3. Volumize hair. The trick to getting volume in your hair is removing the oils that weigh it down. Dr. Oz says you can make your own volumizing conditioner by mixing equal parts conditioner and Epsom salt together. Put this on your hair and let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing out. Repeat it on a weekly basis.
4. Exfoliating skin. Rough skin is unattractive, but hard to fight. Epsom salt makes a great exfoliant. The Epsom Salt Council says you can make your own exfoliator and moisturizer by combining 2 cups of coconut oil with 1 cup of Epsom salt and 1 spoonful of lavender oil.
5. Sooth sore muscles. A time-honored tradition has been to soak sore muscles in an Epsom salt tub. Unfortunately, ABC News says that there is no science to back up the claim that the soak in Epsom salt does anything to relieve sore muscles. The good news is that it won’t hurt you, and a good soak in warm water always feels good!
Whether you’re trying to improve your beauty, skin or health, Epsom salt has something to offer. It’s inexpensive and easy to find which makes it a must-have for your home remedy repertoire.