– 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
– 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, roomemperature
– 1 cup sugar, divided
– 1 large whole egg plus 1 large egg yolk
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 2/3 cup whole milk
– 1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries or raspberries, or 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries, or 1 cup chopped ripe banana and 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
– 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk, and vanilla; mix until well combined. Reduce speed to low; alternate adding reserved flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour. Gently fold in berries (or other mix-ins) using a rubber spatula.
3. Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1/4 cup sugar and mace. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake until light golden brown, about 25 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time.
4. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes before turning out muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.