WARNING: If You See This In Your Backyard Do Not Go Near It. It May Look Cute & Fuzzy But It’s Dangerous!


The Megalopyge opercularis is one of these bugs that looks innocent enough, but it is actually dangerous. This bug appears to be a harmless fuzzy bug, as is it also commonly known as the puss caterpillar, but it turns out it is extremely venomous.

The fuzz you see on this caterpillar is actually tiny spikes, which are filled with their venom.

A puss caterpillar sting feels like a bee sting, only worse. The pain immediately and rapidly gets worse after being stung, and can even make your bones hurt.

This venom is not entirely fatal, but it can cause some serious damage, especially to little children who think this fuzzy bug is harmless. The symptoms can be anywhere from localized, itching, burning rash at the site of the stings, to a full-body mess of burning, tingling, chest pains, blisters, headache, nausea, and even more.  How bad the sting hurts depends on where you get stung and how many spines are embedded in your skin. People who have been stung on the hand say the pain can radiate up to their shoulder and last for up to 12 hours.

If you do come in contact with this bug, make sure you stay away from it and definitely do not touch it! Inform others and make sure your children are aware.

If you do happen to get stung and have the spikes stuck inside of you, use cellophane tape to remove the venomous barbs.

Next, take some antihistamines to counteract the reaction your body is having to the venom and then go straight to the hospital. You should see a healthcare professional, because just taking out the barbs doesn’t fix the problem, the venom will still be in your system.

If you follow these steps you can keep yourself and your loved ones safe from this non-seemingly dangerous fuzzy bug. 

Learn more in the video below



Choose your Reaction!