, , , ,

When I Saw This Gross Video At The Supermarket, I’m Never Eating From The Salad Bar Again

For anyone looking for a healthier dining option, a grocery store salad bar is usually a pretty good bet. Any decent salad bar has a variety of lettuces, toppings, and dressings, with the addition of soup for a satisfying side dish. A sneeze-guard shield over the entire bar usually gives you some peace of mind that the ingredients laid out are free of germs. Until now.

One grocery shopper was caught doing the unthinkable at the salad bar at Mariano’s grocery store in Chicago. The gross-out video quickly went viral, as more than a million viewers have watched it (and likely gagged) since it was posted this week.

In the video, a man is seen giving not a single care in the world as he grabs a soup ladle in the hot bar section and gives the soup four slurps before putting the utensil back into the container.

One person who shared the video on Twitter offered this cautionary comment: “Something to think about the next time you eat at the salad bar.”

Others were absolutely horrified, with plenty of comments about how gross this is and one person calling it “worse than double dipping.”

Another person commented: “NO SOUP FOR YOU! So wrong on so many levels,” while others believed this would warrant saying something to the stranger. One person noted: “I am not really one for confrontation, but I doubt that I would have been able to keep my mouth shut if I had seen that.”

Others were hopeful that the witness to this disgusting behavior notified the staff and they replaced the container.

Among the comments left on social media about the video was one person who shared a similar horrifying incident, noting: “Not at a grocery store but as a server, I see kids take the parmesan cheese shakers and lick all over the lid, one slurped cheese out of the little holes and you could see the drool lines as he pulled it from his mouth. I always wash the containers and put in fresh cheese when I see it happen but I’m very skeptical of using parmesan cheese at restaurants now. You don’t always see it happen.”

Another person noted simply enough: “This is why I don’t eat from supermarket buffets. Never will after seeing this.”

Among the comments left on the Daily Mail‘s coverage of the video were those who advised it’s better to avoid eating any food that’s in the open. One person shared: “That’s the reason I take so much effort to cook my own food. I don’t know what happens to ingredients from farm to shop but I can control what happens at home in kitchen.”

Another commenter offered a solution that would help deter this kind of behavior, explaining: “It would be far more hygienic in a dispenser with a tap, that way it wouldn’t get talked over or coughed over. I would never buy from an open display of food, there are too many people around who have no clue about basic hygiene.”

Comments

comments